Sunday, February 25, 2007

Beyond the Screen

"[...] Our atomized, alienated, transient lifestyles have resulted in our seeking community from those who share the same interests, or workplace, or some other kind of tribal loyalty." (Leonard, p. 155) I have to disagree with Andrew Leonard, author of You Are Who You Know, because I think that social networks have created more a more alienated society than less of one. I agree that we have more access to knowledge and the latest gossip about our friends and coworkers, but is that what creates more intimate friendships? I think spending hours in front of a screen, thinking you are "interacting" with other people is less meaningful than calling up the new friend you made in biology class to get some coffee.
Social networking is beneficial in that it helps keep track of a group of friends and where they are living and working, but it also seems very superficial; everyone can create who they want to be, not who they truly are. Uploading the best pictures of yourself, finding the coolest quotes, and putting the latest TV shows as your favorites does not explain what drives a person, childhood pastimes, or last night's wacky dream. Those are things a person tells to the people he interacts with and cares about. The question that needs to be asked is do I want to know a lot of surface level things about a lot of people or do I want to create meaningful relationships that will last a lifetime?
I have a facebook account so it would seem hypocritical of me to have this point of view, but I don't use it as a my social outlet or consider it my social interaction for the day. I don't seek to create a community through my facebook as Leonard might suggest. I think it's good for keeping track of friends, sending a message to them every now and then, and writing a friendly message on a wall. But I would much rather see my friends face to face or hear their voices on the phone. Computers just can't make up for hearing sarcasm in my fiance's voice, the laughter of my best friend, or tears of joy from my grandmother.

No comments: