Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Barak Obama- correction

To my classmates,
Today in class when we were talking about Sen. Barak Obama Jr. I corrected Mrs. Small by saying his father was from Nigeria, but that was incorrect. His father, Barak Obama Sr. was born in Nairobi, Kenya. I apologize for misinforming everyone and just wanted to clear the air.

Secondly, I would like to pose a question that has been on my mind for a few days to anyone who bothers to read my blog...Should progression (as far as the race issue goes) be defined as regarding race as irrelevant altogether? Or are"diversity," meeting quotas, and recognizing "firsts" (as in first African American to fly into space or first Mexican American to play in the NBA) the true signs of progress in America. I didn't come up with this question on my own (I haven't quite figured out how to word it yet). Someone told me that Charles Barkley brought up the question in an interview when asked about the first two black coaches to be in the Super Bowl. I wish I could find the transcript of the conversation, but I've looked, and I can't find it. Please leave comments if you would like. I haven't come to a conclusion yet, but I might post my thoughts on it in a few days.

1 comment:

The Lecturer said...

This is an excellent question, Rachel! I'm interested to see what others think.